What does it take to succeed in pharmaceutical sales? Ask a few reps and you’ll probably get a wide range of responses. But ask motivational expert Brian Tracy and he’ll tell you that success as a drug rep ultimately is the same as success in any sales endeavor. It all boils down to mastering Tracy’s so-called Seven Secrets.
1. Commit to excellence. You must make the decision that you are going to reach the top of the field. Commit to excellence, to improving every day and to not stopping until you achieve your goal. Remember, the only obstacle with the power to hold you back is you.
2. Strengthen the weakness. What is your greatest shortcoming that is limiting your success? Decide you are going to improve until this is among your greatest strengths. Solicit input from your district manager, coworkers and friends on how to achieve this. Then make a plan and stick to it.
3. Improve your circle. There are plenty of negative, critical folks populating the ranks of pharmaceutical sales. Avoid these individuals. Instead, surround yourself with people who are positive and moving in the direction you want to go. If you’re going to fly, get with the eagles, not the turkeys.
4. Shape up. To sell effectively you must have high energy levels and be physically fit. This also will help you deal with the inevitable rejections. Eat well, get plenty of exercise and get enough rest and recreation.
5. Keep your eye on the prize. Envision yourself achieving your dreams. Close your eyes and see yourself performing well and taking control of your life. Imagine that you are one of your company’s top-selling reps. Return to these mental images repeatedly and they will become clearer and clearer.
6. Talk it up. Remember that 95% of your emotions are determined by the way you talk to yourself. It’s your job to get yourself moving in an upward spiral. Your self-talk can help you maintain a positive attitude all day long.
7. Take responsibility. Take responsibility for where you’re going and how you get there. If you’re unhappy with your income, be proactive about figuring out how you can sell more effectively. Figure out where your comfort zone is and then force yourself to step outside those limitations. Take charge of the area of your life that you want to improve and commit to making it happen.